Thursday, July 7, 2011

**A Few of My Favorite Things, Pt. I**

I love Dieter, from Sprockets. He makes me happy as a little girl:


I also love Frank Zappa's lesser-known rock classic, 'It Just Might Be a One-Shot Deal.' Although the composition begins with Zappa's all-too-recognizable, and oft-reviled brand of esoteric quirkiness, it eventually arrives--midway thru--to one of the most beautiful pedal steel guitar solos of all time. [Fast forward to the 1:51 mark if you have no patience, nor common decency for that matter]


His music is the thematic equivalent of an obscure, insanely-longwinded Dennis Miller joke: many a cringe-worthy moment punctuated by incredibly rewarding payoffs. The solo featured above is one Mother of a zinger...

And who doesn't love laughter? I know I do, which is why when I was growing up in the 90s I would practically suffocate myself from laughing so hard at the antics of the Jerky Boys (Holy Fuck, I can't believe they actually still have their own website). Aside from directly, and inexplicably, inspiring the debut album of my generation's Greatest Rock Band, they also delivered sustained, sidesplitting hilarity in spades:


Wow, classic-SNL, Zappa and Jerky Boys. I simply remember these things, and I don't feel soooo bad....
Your setup has grown tiresome. Now's the time on Sprockets ven ve donce!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment